The Philippines will continue maritime exercises inside its 200-mile Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) in the South China Sea, the country’s defence minister said on Sunday, despite a call by China to stop actions that it said could escalate disputes.
The Philippine coastguard and fisheries bureau started maritime exercises last month, having boosted its presence in the area to counter the “threatening” presence of Chinese boats. read more
China claims almost the entire South China Sea, through which about $3 trillion worth of ship borne trade passes each year, despite a 2016 ruling by an arbitration tribunal in The Hague that Beijing’s claim was inconsistent with international law.
“The conduct of maritime patrol in the WPS (West Philippine Sea) and Kalayaan Island Group by the Philippine Coast Guard and the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources will continue,” Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said in a statement, using the local name for the South China Sea.
“The government will not waver in its position,” he said.
The lingering presence of hundreds of Chinese boats in the Philippines’ EEZ has revived tensions between the countries, despite President Rodrigo Duterte’s friendship with Beijing.