As India and China negotiate a complex disengagement process to pull back their troops and weapons from friction points in eastern Ladakh, the air forces of both countries remain to be deployed in the theatre just as they were when the border row was at its peak last year, people familiar with the developments said on Tuesday.
“There has been no change in the posture or the deployment of the Indian Air Force in the Ladakh sector. Nor have we noticed any change in the deployment of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF),” said one of the officials cited above.
India and China have held 10 rounds of military talks so far to resolve border tensions that began last May. The 10th round of talks between corps commander-ranked officers of the two armies took place on February 20 after the completion of disengagement on strategic heights on both banks of Pangong Tso.
Both sides pulled back their frontline troops, tanks, infantry combat vehicles and artillery guns under the disengagement agreement. Dates are yet to be announced for the 11th round of military talks that are expected to focus on outstanding problems with the PLA at Depsang, Hot Springs and Gogra.