National

No messages sent to Pakistan for dialogue: MEA

The Government of India on Thursday categorically denied that it has reached out for dialogue with Pakistan, dismissing a suggestion by a senior Pakistani official that the Modi government had sent “messages” for a conversation to the Imran Khan government in the past year.

“The statements made by [Mr. Yusuf] are contrary to facts on the ground, misleading and fictitious. As regards the purported message, let me make it clear that no such message was sent from our side,” said Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Anurag Srivastava at a weekly press briefing.

The claim by Mr. Khan’s Special Assistant on National Security and Strategic Policy Planning, Moeed Yusuf, in an interview to web-based portal The Wire earlier this week had led to some speculation and some skepticism about whether the governments would explore reopening the bilateral dialogue process that has been shut down for the past five years.

In his interview to The Wire’s anchor Karan Thapar, Mr. Yusuf said Pakistan would begin any dialogue if it was sure that there was an “intent” for results, not for “show or effect”, and claimed that India wanted a dialogue in order to reassure international concerns over India-Pakistan tensions.

Facebook Comments

Source
The Hindu
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close