Five Chinese soldiers were killed in the June 15 clash at Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh, China’s army has confirmed during military and diplomatic talks with India at Moldo earlier this week, government sources have said.
This is the first time that China has given any casualty figure for its troops in the clash. Earlier, government sources had said Beijing had admitted that a Chinese commanding officer was among those killed in hand-to-hand combat near Galwan River 15,000 feet high in the Himalayas. Twenty Indian soldiers were killed in action during the clash.
A top government source in South Block told CNN-News18 aware of the talks said the actual Chinese toll would be much higher. “When the Chinese say five, multiply it by three,” said the source.
India and China have been embroiled in a standoff in eastern Ladakh since early May. The government official, said that while the standoff may have officially started in May this year, China had been trying to escalate matters at the Line of Actual Control since right after the 2017 Doklam crisis.
The official said that the PLA had started sending patrol parties comprising 50 to 100 men, instead of the 15-20 soldiers that was usually the norm.