Defence

Violent Ladakh clash leaves 20 Indian soldiers dead, Chinese troops killed-injured

Twenty Indian Army soldiers were killed due to a violent face-off between Indian and Chinese troops at the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh’s Galwan Valley on Monday night.

Earlier it was reported that one Indian Army officer and two jawans were killed in action. However, by late Tuesday evening, the Indian Army updated the figure to 20, saying that 17 others who sustained injuries during the clash had succumbed to death. The number may rise further, the army said.

As per news agency ANI, 43 soldiers of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) were also killed as a result of the violent face-off.

In an official statement, the Indian Army has said that “17 Indian troops who were critically injured in the line of duty at the standoff location and exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain have succumbed to their injuries, taking the total that were killed in action to 20.”

The army, in its statement, said, Indian and Chinese troops have disengaged at the Galwan area where they had earlier clashed on Monday night. “Indian Army is firmly committed to protecting the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the nation,” the Indian Army statement said.

The over five-week-long stand-off between Indian and Chinese troops turned violent on Monday night, inflicting casualties on both sides.

Facebook Comments

Source
India Today
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close