There is no space for a war between two-nuclear armed states but Pakistan will respond whenever there is a challenge to the nation’s security and integrity, the Pakistani Army said on Thursday, a year after Indian Air Force jets bombed a terror camp in Balakot.
The Indian Air Force jets carried out air strikes on a Jaish-e-Mohammed training camp in Balakot in Pakistan’s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on February 26 last year to avenge the killing of 40 Central Reserve Police Force personnel in the Pulwama terror attack on February 14. Pakistan retaliated on February 27 by attempting to target Indian military installations.
Addressing a press briefing here on the first anniversary of ‘Operation Swift Retort’, Pakistan’s military spokesperson Major General Babar Iftikhar said there was no space for a war between two nuclear powers due to its far reaching impact.
“The consequences for that (war) will be uncontrollable and things will spiral out of control. Intentions can change overnight but capabilities remain,” he said.
Stating that Pakistan was fully aware of every effort being made against it, he said the Pakistan Army would respond to every challenge posed to it.
“We are aware of all covert and overt operations of our enemies, and are prepared for all scenarios. The game being played by India, Pakistan’s civil and military leadership is very much aware of it,” Iftikhar, who took charge as the head of Army’s media wing this month, said.
“We will respond – do not test our capability and resolve. Pakistan will respond whenever there is a challenge to the country’s security and integrity,” he was quoted as saying by the Express Tribune.
At a separate press conference, Pakistan’s Air Force chief Marshal Mujahid Anwar reiterated the PAF’s commitment of responding to aggressors, the paper reported.